Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Minivan and Capris Optional

Hello, everyone. My name is LT. And I've become a soccer mom.

I hope you don't mind "soccer mom" not having leading capitals. There's a small part of me that vainly screams there is a vast difference between a soccer mom and a Soccer Mom, but my hands have typed enough documents over the years to know it's less than a flicker of the Shift key, and keep the hysterical optimism in check.

I'm now an Assistant Coach to DS's soccer team, and I've volunteered to take a course to become a referee - the league is short. Okay, and they compensate you for your time ref'ing.

Let's be clear - I never expected to be assigned the position. It's one of those things I do thinking someone else will get the part, but, oh, if I do get the position I'll get an excuse to get more exercise and I'll feel more comfortable than sitting on the bleachers. I don't know how I'm pushing 35 years-old and I still don't realize those kinds of situations tend to bite me in the ass.

So, the last few Thursdays, my duct-tape-and-shoestring-body and I were on the field, trying like hell to keep up with my head coach. My herniated disc, not to mention my luxating kneecaps, was not happy, and quite loudly protested me trundling around over the uneven ground, herding five year-olds-and-under like a geriatric goatherd.

And that first practice, where was DS? Having emotional issues on the other side of the field, poor thing. He gets so tense around new children, and he told my husband that he was upset that we hadn't brought his soccer ball, like some of the other children had. He finally came over to play Sharks and Minnows, but that was a brief interlude as one of the younger child (maybe 3 or 4), ignored the rules of the game and stole DS's ball, even though he was "safe". 

So, back into a huff went DS, while some of the other players just collapsed on the field to rest and others were trying to make a break to the nearby woods and freedom. We tried a few more passing games, but ultimately called it.

I spent the next 3 days sleeping about 16 - 18 hours a day. I couldn't believe how shattered my body felt - practice only lasts 45 minutes!

Ok, ok, so maybe the fact that I started taking Tenex to help with my ADHD (because my insurance won't cover Intuniv) played a role. And maybe, yes, my prescriber and I weren't sure of the dose, so maybe after research I saw I was taking the maximum and figured I should cut back. And, yes, I had forgotten my morning doses of Lyrica the two days leading up to practice.

But still.

16 hours of sleep. Damn.

The only thing I've found to help, aside from my medication, is dry brushing, something I'll cover next time.


1 comment: